Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What is the cost of starting a small Bee farm?

I just want to start this as a hobby nothing big. I was just wondering how much it would cost.What is the cost of starting a small Bee farm?
Any where from free to about $200 will get you set up with a colony and all the needed equipment. The first thing to do is get in contact with a local beekeeper. Your county extension office should have the name of the beekeeper organinazation of you county and state. Tell him what you want. I met my beekeeper at an exhibition at the county fair. He told me where to buy three hives for a total of $25. He explained how to move the hives without getting all stung up. He loaned me the equipment I needed to do the job. When some of the locals in the area noticed I had bees, they asked a lot of questions. They helped around the hives and became frequent visitors. I got a call to remove a hive from a wall. I asked them if they wanted to help. They were eager to help. By this time I had extra hives already set up.


We removed the swarm and placed them in the hive. I told them if they thought they were ready to care for the bees they could have this swarm. They come over and ask a lot of questions, help me when I'm busy and share a lot of good experiences. I give them some of my medicatations so they don't have to buy that either. I'm a hobby beekeeper. I borrow equipment from my mentor. My space is limited. I can only hold so many hives. I am the designated bee removal contact in our area. Most of my collections are given to other beekeepers or people who want to start up a new hobby. We exchange equipment and ideas. Somehow every beekeeper ends up with a burden of excess equipment. They'll be glad to share. Bees, equipment , knowledge and just a good visit. Contact you county extension office for contacts. You'll learn when the local beekeepers are holding their meetings. You'll be welcomed. From ther on, your on your own. You'll pretty much decide how much your start up will cost you. It can run any where from free to $200.





Our club has about three major informational sessions a year to educate and update its members on the newest techniques of beekeeping. They are hands on shows. There are demonstrations and lectures, with question and answers on an open basis. Proffesors and Entomologists are frequent speakers. We have our booth at the Indiana state fqir.What is the cost of starting a small Bee farm?
I found a website for the American Beekeeping Federation. They should be able to answer any questions you might have about beginning beekeeping.





I has one bee hive as a kid, but it was purchased in person at a bee farm in Dallas.





http://www.abfnet.org/
Not expensive. How many colonies did you plan on having?



Build a box, get some bees. Shouldn't cost too much?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
tanning products